11.27.2013

dare

The gauntlet has been thrown.

The need for Nutella marshmallows was stated and I was given the challenge to attempt such a feat. The first thing I did was a little research. I knew using the actual spread would be too thick, so I had to find out its actual components and work from there.


I decided two things: 

  1. incorporate cocoa powder somehow
  2. find hazelnut flavoring
Then I waited for a day with low humidity.

Then I waited for some time to actually do this.


Then the friend GOT ENGAGED and I really had to get these done!




I chose a chocolate marshmallow recipe that is pretty similar to my usual standby, as I know I get great results from that recipe. This also would make a few more than just half a recipe, which I deemed necessary for the purposes of sharing.

For the shortness of this post's sake, I'm just going to give you the ingredients here--if you'd like to make these yourself, pop over to the chocolate recipe and follow the instructions there, adding the flavoring to the gelatin in step 3.


⅓ c cocoa powder

¼ c + 2 T water

1 c water
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
hazelnut extract
2 c sugar
¾ c light corn syrup
¼ t salt

½ c powdered sugar
3 T rice flour
2 T cocoa powder



My notes: I didn't specify how much extract because it depends on what you've got. Mine is pretty powerful, so I only used a smidgeon. I had a lot of coating powder left over, so if you want to reduce the amount of powdered sugar to a third cup, you'd still be fine to cover a 9x13 pan of marshmallows.

No comments: