I want to point out a couple of food things we've done recently, especially because one of them is probably getting a bad rap around the Interwebs.
Let's start with that one, shall we?
This breakfast lasagna recipe is very enticing: from the mouthwatering photos to the description of what's inside, one can't resist adding this to one's food board.
When you make it at home, though, it's not going to be nearly as pretty, and you'll probably panic about halfway through the 10 million steps you need to take to complete this. I made and assembled the day before and I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical. Granted, my pan is a liiiittle larger than a 9x13, but everything was looking a little... wanting.
It baked up to fill the pan just fine, though.
I did have to cover it with foil to keep the bacon from burning, so I recommend undercooking that a little before the final bake. And this is NOT pretty, at least the first time you make it, so don't expect it to come out ready for a photo shoot. It tastes amazing, though, and I think it's somewhat worth the giant mess and hassle, especially if you can make it the day before you need it.
The other recipe I need to tell you about is rather quite amazing, partly because I'm not a squash lover and I ate a ton of this, and partly because it's unique (for the midwest, at least). I highly recommend you track down some Za'atar so you can make this in full. The name isn't anything catchy or spectacular, but it does tell you what's going on: roasted butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za'atar.
There is a lot of flavor going on here, so make sure you're ready when you take a bite. The author has you assemble everything on a platter and then serve it--we did individual servings on each plate and it worked out just fine.
Save room for seconds, if there is any left!
No comments:
Post a Comment