8.22.2009

drupaceous

My mom very generously agreed to pick up Michigan peaches for me (she was going to get some for herself anyway) and then I suggested we work on canning them together! So she came over for an afternoon and we proceeded to pop the ripe ones into jars (several are still green, which is great, as it took 4 hours to do 24 pints). And these are just in a light syrup, so I'm excited to try other recipes with the rest.



In other peach news, Chip and I had 8 peaches on our tree this year! We were excited to have the possibility to actually make something from them, rather than just eat them, as we usually just get two or three.

Imagine our dismay when we pulled the first one off to find:

ANTS.

And every single one was like that, except for the one that was full of... another bug. I can't even go there--I'm shuddering right now remembering. ewewewewewewewwewewew

Anyway, we were able to salvage enough to make peach shortcakes--roughly one and a half for each of us. I enjoyed mine on the porch with coffee!


I look forward to peaches this winter!

Book recommendation: The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
Recipe recommendation: Spiced Peach Shortcake
Wine recommendation: McManis Viognier

No comments: