10.31.2009

enterprise

So I'm trying my hand at something new: carving stamps.


This is due to two factors: Carissa the librarian tried it and found it addicting, and my guerrilla art book has a couple of pages on making your own stamps. They suggested using plastic erasers, so that's what I got first (and come in packs of three). Size is limited on those, so I had to keep my designs simple.


I also only have a straight edge exact-o knife, so that makes for tricky carving. I apologize for no finished picture of the stamps--it turned out blurry and I'm feeling lazy... but I've made an arrow and a citrus wedge thus far.


I'm eager to try more, but think I need an actual stamp carving kit (Christmas gift idea here, peoples!), though I don't mind that folksy look my citrus wedge has.


I've also learned that if I want to do lighter inks, these erasers really soak up stuff, so I'd need to have one dedicated for yellow, and then another for the oranges and greens.


Here's something I'm thinking about trying more of, too: recovered notebooks. Let me know if you'd like one and we can discuss the theme and size. Also let me know if you'd like your own citrus wedge stamp--I can make you one of those, too!



I did buy a bigger block of rubber to try...


Book recommendation: The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith
Recipe recommendation: Sweet Potato Balls
Wine recommendation: Opus One Cabernet Sauvignon

6 comments:

gianna said...

cute! my mom loved to do that, but i've told you that. i'll have to tell you what she did! and thanks for your encouraging words! i love you, big sil!

Carissa said...

A little more sophisticated than a potato stamp :)

I like the citrus wedge!

librariane said...

And these will last longer than the potato!

abcgirl said...

Hey, I'm finally catching up on your blog--the citrus wedge turned out great! I hope you do get to play with a stamp carving kit soon. I think you'll find it MUCH easier to use than an eraser and an exacto.

librariane said...

Yeah--Michael's sells big rectangles of rubber, and they feel a little different than the plastic eraser (though I haven't started carving one yet--I'm guessing that will feel different, too!).

I might keep up the challenge of the erasers, though, to see what I can come up with in that particular shape.

Cheri said...

What a great idea! Your citrus stamps are sooo cute!