Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny have been orphaned and are supposed to go live with their grandfather. But they've heard he's a hard man and don't want to have anything to do with him, so they run away. They find an abandoned boxcar on an unused portion of tracks in the woods and turn it into their home. Trips to the junkyard provide furnishings, a nearby stream is their bathtub and Henry gets them some food and cash by doing odd jobs for a doctor in town. The girls even keep Benny up to speed with his schoolwork by teaching him his letters.
One of my favorite things about this book was how creative and resourceful the kids were, including meals. Henry makes a meal out of thinnings from the doctor's garden, and when I started pulling up carrots from our garden, I knew immediately I had to incorporate them somehow with this novel.
serves 8
Soup:
1½ lbs potatoes, diced into ¼ in pieces
½ lb fresh cranberry beans or cannellini beans
½ lb green beans, cut into ¼ in pieces
½ lb zucchini, cut into ¼ in pieces
2½ oz of leek, white part cut into ¼ in slices
½ lb carrots, cut into ¼ in pieces
15 c water
3 T salt
½ lb fresh green peas
4 oz canned chickpeas, drained
½ c penne pasta
Place all the vegetables except peas and chickpeas in a large pot and add water. Sprinkle with salt, cover and cook for 1 hour (or until vegetables are tender). Add the peas, chickpeas and pasta, bring to a boil and cook until pasta is done.
Pistou:
5 garlic cloves
2 c fresh basil leaves
1 lb tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3/4 c olive oil
2 c freshly grated Gruyère cheese
1 t salt
In a mortar and pestle, mash garlic, basil and tomatoes. Beat in oil gradually and then add the cheese to make a thick paste. Add salt.
At the last minute, add the pistou to the boiling soup. Stir and serve pipping hot.
My notes: I'd use half broth and half water next time--despite the pistou's ingredients, it still was a little bland. I also only made a little pistou and added it to the soup bowl, rather than the pot, and skipped the pasta. This is due to the fact we weren't going to eat it all at once and I didn't think it would reheat as well. Also, I added my cannellini beans (actually northern beans) after the first hour because they were canned.
Using frozen vegetables works okay with this.
Book recommendation: The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Recipe recommendation: Pistou Soup
Television recommendation: FlashForward
7 comments:
What an adorable little carrot you got in your hands! The books you choose always want me to go back to be a child and ask for them as a gift. You got me very curious about the adventures of the boxcar children. Maybe I'll get the book and then find a child of suitable age to which I can read it. I am sure they would have loved your soup. Thanks for contributing to our event!
I LOVED LOVED LOVED the boxcar children. I loved them so much! What a great idea!
It's a great series, though I prefer just the first few. Once the ghostwriters take over, the quality plummets...
I debated doing Mike's Mystery, as pies feature prominently in it, but it's a few books into the series and I thought I should start at the beginning.
I love those tiny baby carrots and the beautiful way you've used them in your pistou - a special soup for late summer into fall.
Just read the full synopsis of this story elsewhere. It sounds so touching and delightful. I am not averse to enjoying kid lit in the least; I have all the Olivia books. : }
Hope you are well, Ruhama!
Mmm. Soupe au pistou - fall and summer in one bowl. :)
I read a lot of novels of the "children run away and live on their own" variety when I was a kid - I think it was a favorite theme of Enid Blyton. Somehow, I missed this one. I'll have to track it down and pretend I'm eight again.
Thanks, ladies! I am a huge fan of adults enjoying kids books and always advocate for them (and teen books, which you probably have figured out).
And the beauty of this soup is it's so versatile! I was grateful the frozen veggies worked out, as I didn't have fresh peas or green beans.
adele--How about My Side of the Mountain? That one made me want to live in the wild, though I doubt I could do it for real...
really enjoyed your post, i had never heard of anyone doing something like this. i just love to take pics and am avid reader, i wanted to combine them to make reading and cooking an interactive sport, it is fun to see others already doing it.
i too enjoy young adult books, i think they miss market many and they get overlooked. i LOVED the book thief and i am the messenger and have shared them with many adults.
Post a Comment