2.05.2010

creation

Chip requested the Santa Fe cake from my big cake book for his birthday, so I wrote down the ingredients and then proceeded to start shopping around. Why, you may ask? Well, this cake calls for blue cornmeal, something not found in every grocery store (especially in a smaller city):

The cake also calls for cajeta, which is dulce de leche made with goat's milk, and chile arbol. I'm thinking part of the reason for choosing this cake is the Rick Bayless book that we rifled through a couple weeks ago...


Oh, and yes, you read that right: there is a teaspoon of ground chile in the cake.

I wasn't sure about the frosting, as it's pretty much just whipped cream with a bit of the cajeta in it, but it complements the cake perfectly. I didn't do it quite right, either, so I'm going to have to play around with the directions some more: I accidentally made butter on the first go around, so Chip had to bring home more cream on his way home from work...



And I don't know what's up with me and the angles on these photos. I didn't notice it until I had them all downloaded from the camera.

5 comments:

gianna said...

it's just like you guys to pick something funky like that, but it looks fabulous!

librariane said...

Yeah--it's perfect to have after your Mexican dinner (probably tostadas or something involving corn tortillas). And it's not that spicy, really. The chile is mild, as far as chiles go.

Carissa said...

So did you enjoy your fresh butter on something?

librariane said...

Not yet--it's in a jar in the fridge. It doesn't taste like caramel (I know the taste is just butter because I made a piece of toast with it), but there are remnants of the cajeta all over it.

I'm thinking about baking with it.

Cheri said...

It looks delicious! What interesting ingredients. You are much more adventurous than me, I must say. Please send a slice my way!