8.07.2014

recapitulate

Our mission trip was a success, despite the daily thunderstorms!

We arrived Wednesday afternoon, assessed our projects, did some initial shopping and started working. Most help organize and paint trim, while Jessica and I worked on our first meal.




Then, Thursday through Saturday we painted, sawed, painted and scraped to get our projects done (in between thunder, lightening and hail)! 






















Saturday night saw a carpetball tournament to test out the new tables; Graeme put together the brackets so the pairings would be random. This did put Chip (the tallest of the group) against Laura (the shortest)... But it was a blast and a great way to relieve the stress of frantically working for three days straight.


Sunday was reserved for visiting the Grand Canyon. When we first arrived, our hearts sank:






Fortunately, the skies cleared and we were able to see the magnificence of the rocks, the chasm and the layers of beauty. We also ate at a Harvey Girls restaurant there at the park. I felt accomplished, as I had seen the movie a few years ago.







Monday was pack up and clean up before heading back to Phoenix to catch our flight home. On the way down, we stopped in Sedona to see the famous red rocks and swung by Montezuma's Well and Castle.








I only have three regrets:

  1. We didn't spend nearly enough time together as a group just hanging out.
  2. We never made it to the top of the mountain just behind the camp.
  3. We ran out of time to go to In-n-Out.

No comments: