So Chip and I missed an important historical food when we left the family reunion a little early to explore wine country: salt potatoes. This is a bummer, as I love potatoes.
Apparently this tradition started in Syracuse (which is known as The Salt City) in the 1800s. It was invented by salt miners who wanted a simple (but tasty) lunch. It eventually became a commercial item, which you can still buy today!
I used this recipe and found them to be fantastic. Because most folks don't need 12 portions in one go, I've got a pared down version for you here.
1 lb new potatoes
½ c table salt
1 qt water
¼ c unsalted butter, sliced
Clean and rinse your taters--do not peel! Bring the salt and water to a boil, then add potatoes. Boil until tender (about 20 minutes, depending on size).
Drain potatoes, then add back to dry pot. Place over low heat and add butter. Once melted, portion out potatoes, break open and pour butter over. Add pepper if desired.
My notes: the salt is all in the skins, so if you want less salty potatoes, don't eat that part. Pepper really changes the flavor and I prefer them unadulterated. It will seem like a lot of butter, but remember that potatoes drink butter! You can halve the amount, though, and still have great tasting spuds. Oh, and mine took about 25 minutes to cook.
No comments:
Post a Comment