6.17.2014

absurdity

I love Pinterest. As a visual learner, it's so much faster to use that as my bookmark page, rather than a traditional one with a list of titles. Having a picture just stirs the memory and I can find what I need and move on with life.

But I realize it's got a certain... reputation... as well. There are a couple of pages devoted to the fails of Pinterest* and sometimes there is a bit of pretentiousness that happens as well.


Take this item for example:




Holy cow. Just the title is obnoxious and I think we're taking mixing up our palate a little too far. There's something to be said for pleasing the taste buds, but at some point, it just gets a little too much.


I also wonder what the purpose of the photo is: it looks cool, but other than a picture on a wall or magazine cover, what is it for? You wouldn't do this at home (I hope), unless you're hosting a dinner party that got out of control and everyone is only allowed one bite of each course due to the extreme amounts of people flowing through your door.



Let's talk about the other problem of Pinterest: creativity at its worst (thus, 'fails'). People either make things too pretty or they do this:



Before I saw the title of what this food was, my thought was 'who would put Hamburger Helper in an ice cream cone? Gross!' 

Now. I'm sure this stuff tastes fantastic, but there are foods that do. not. photo. well. And when you try to put a spin on the presentation, it actually makes it worse**. 

Making the picture look pretty also doesn't do the average person justice, either. One of my favorite recipes has a very misleading picture. Every time I see it on my board I wonder how many people are frustrated (and blame Pinterest) about how their dish turned out based on that photo. It's extremely tasty, though, so it stays on my food board.

So what's my point? You can't rant without a reason or some concluding thought! I guess I'd like to see less complaining about things that didn't work and more celebrating what did or what you learned from an experience***. Find out what your threshold is for projects/recipes/DIY and then go for it! 


I have to end with a confession: I'm afraid I did fall for the whole crazy mix of flavors idea the other day...




It was rather delicious and I actually could taste the chamomile (though Chip couldn't)!




*This still bothers me a lot. It's not Pinterest's fault the item/project/food didn't turn out... 

**Want to see this executed well? Check out this ice cream blog post.
***Remember my 'snowman' project? I certainly learned a few things from doing it, like have the right kind of vessel for the vinegar. And we had fun! 

No comments: