6.02.2014

terminus

This is part two of the unfinished card swap! Be sure to see what I did for my portion in my previous post.

Here's what I received from Donna as part of the unfinished card swap:





My first thought was 'flowers'. After all, it is a pot template... But then I decided to try to think outside the box (not my strong point), and flipped it upside down and thought 'hat'.   Then I let it sit in my brain a little while longer and thought 'coffee'. It looks a lot like a hot beverage container!

First I had to figure out how to transform this into the cup, which required adding that cardboard sleeve to keep your hand cool. Then, what do I do with that insert? She made this double sided, so I wanted to keep this as a stand alone card, so I decided the insert was going to be the top of the cup, with the biggest part as the sleeve.





I added a little extra white cardstock on top to bulk up the lid, then cut up an actual coffee sleeve, sized it and glued it on. Then on to pimping out the insert. This is a cup of coffee, right? So I made it coffee colored by using Vintage Photo Distress Ink and a nifty watercolor technique where you swipe the paper through the wet ink. This turned out AMAZING and I'm super excited at how this worked! Yes, I'm squeeing.





To keep this an easily usable card, I added a little white cardstock to the front panel, so the giver can write a message using whatever writing utensil s/he pleases!

So there you have it: my first unfinished card swap. It was very fun and I loved the creative push the whole process gave me, so I'm hoping to do this again. 



No comments: